EV3 Robot Takes Selfie: Caught Red-Handed

ev3-selfie

LAVA R3X is a pretty busy robot. He got himself featured on the front cover of a book that just got published, and now he’s taking the spotlight to show that robots are keeping up with the times too

I caught him red-handed taking a selfie with a rare, framed EV3 box signed by the LEGO MINDSTORMS EV3 design team. I don’t blame him though — not many robots get the chance to take that picture!selfie_action

LAVA R3X took the picture all by itself using a Logitech C270 USB webcam. Both the webcam and a Netgear WNA 1100 Wifi Dongle are connected to the brick via a USB hub, which is just visible under the robot’s right arm. With ev3dev, this setup worked right out of the box. (Anyone need more reasons to see why ev3dev is cool?)

This entry was posted in Programming. Bookmark the permalink.

9 Responses to EV3 Robot Takes Selfie: Caught Red-Handed

1. Beauty says:

Awesome wats a nice robot.

2. Victor says:

Do you have instructions on how to make this guy hold a camera and take a selfie with ev3dev in your book?

• Laurens says:

Instructions to build the robot and to make it walk are included in the book, but the book covers the standard EV3 programming language.

ev3dev has only just come out, and it’s aimed at more advanced EV3 users. That is, it’s aimed at those who want to learn to work with Linux. I will be covering some of this on my blog, but it’s not included in the book.

3. Lama-mantis says:

That’s what I call #S3LFIE!

4. Daren says:

How to turn OFF the WIFI option in EV3 and use it as NXT with bluetooth. I am using Matlab/Simulink environment with standard firmware. I could not have the Netgear connect to the wireless router (configured a a gateway). When I configure the router as an AP I loose connection to 192.168.1.1 via cable.

5. ali says:

can you make a vedio

6. Fishingirl58 says:

I love your book. I have done the first 4 chapters with 2 groups of 5th grade students and they feel so empowered by what they can have the EV3 do. Thanks!

7. Tony Nguyen says:

Hi, Laurens.
    That was a nice S3LFI3 picture:)!
    I think taking selfies from down to up is a good STYL3 for EV3, thought.
    Nice work for that.
    PS: Have you build the Gear trick racer that I sent to you?
    Signed