The LEGO Group will announce their latest innovation of LEGO MINDSTORMS this week at the international Consumer Electronics Show (CES). LEGO MINDSTORMS EV3, the successor of NXT, continues the popular LEGO MINDSTORMS product line, and it’s better than ever.
The new EV3 system makes it easy to start building robots in no time. Beginning users can even use a remote control (or even a smartphone) to make their creations come alive. At the same time it’s a much more powerful tool for hackers and hobbyists. Powered by an ARM9 processor running Linux, equipped with a USB host port for expansions like WiFi, the possibilities are endless.
LEGO MINDSTORMS EV3 will be available in the second half of 2013
I’m sure the LEGO MINDSTORMS developers will soon release more details, but here’s the specs we have so far:
EV3 Intelligent Brick
- Stronger and faster ARM9 robotic processor
- Embedded 16MB FLASH memory
- 64 MB RAM plus SD expansion slot
- LINUX operating system, released under open source
- USB 2.0 interface allows for WiFi connectivity
- 4 input ports: Connect up to 4 sensors at the same time, including your NXT sensors
- 4 output ports: Now you can power up to 4 motors (Either Large, Medium or NXT)
- Up to four intelligent bricks to be connected together (Yes, that’s 16 sensor and 16 motor ports!)
- Matrix display with loudspeaker
- Button interface with status indication
- Enhanced on-brick programming
- Bluetooth ® v2.1
- iOS and Android compatible
- 3 Interactive Servo Motors: 2 large and 1 medium
- 1 Touch Sensor
- New IR Seeker Sensor measures distance, movements and detects objects, and acts as a receiver for the remote control
- New IR Beacon remotely controls robot from up to 2 meters (6 feet) away
- Improved Color Sensor detects 6 colors as well as the brightness of light sources
- Backwards-compatible with LEGO MINDSTORMS NXT: Connect your NXT Sensors and motors to the new EV3 brick.
- Assortment of 594 LEGO TECHNIC® elements for easy, more stable building with improved functionality and movement capabilities
- Downloadable software is PC and Mac compatible
- Icon-based drag and drop environment for “building” programs with new interactive content that helps de-bug programming
If you can’t wait to get this new robotics system, here’s two wallpapers you can put on your desktop in the meantime.
Links and more info
I’ll post more as soon as I can, so check back! Meanwhile there’s these links to read more about the EV3 system: